Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The dePaola Dollhouse Family

Kelsey lives in Columbus, Ohio.

"I've been a big fan of yours since I was little. I've always been captivated by your drawings, the colors, the faces, and all the little things. I'm 15 now, but when I was younger I used to sit and read PANCAKES FOR BREAKFAST and I'll never forget the phrase 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.' When I got my big wooden dollhouse for Christmas when I was eight, I named all of the family members after yours. The mom and dad were Joe and Flossie, the brother and sister were Buddy and Tomie (sorry you were a girl, but I was determined, and she was my favorite anyway) and the baby sister, Maureen. The house even came with another family, and the girl in that family was Jeannie. The book THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME was the first chapter book that I ever fell in love with (FANTASTIC MR. FOX was next). That book made me want to have a diary and is one of the reasons why I still have one today."

Tomie: It's OK that Tomie was a girl since she was your favorite. I know a woman in Minnesota whose name is "Tomie." I hope Buddy and Tomie got along better in your dollhouse than they did at 26 Fairmount Avenue.