Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Howling in New Hampshire

Several days ago, I was in the barn at 9:00 p.m. All of the windows and doors were shut. Yet, I could hear howling from outside. I went outside to try and determine what was happening. It was very dark and instead of getting too close to the extraordinary wailing and howling, I got onto Tomie's deck and called him on my cell phone. He came outside to listen to the noise. I assumed that loose dogs were fighting in Tomie's meadow.

The next day I walked in the meadow and came to a tree that had many small branches on the ground around the trunk of the tree. I looked up into the tree and saw several small branches that were bent downward.

After sharing my findings with Tomie, he came up with the most credible idea of what happened. He suggested that a dog chased a bear up the tree. There are two small corn fields in the meadow and at least one bear is a frequent visitor to the corn fields.

Mystery probably solved.