Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dear Mr. dePaola

Katelyn is in a fifth grade reading class at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

"My class at school is now reading a book entitled DEAR MR. HENSHAW. The main character, Leigh Botts, has to ask his favorite author some questions about his work... I have narrowed my list of questions to seven key thoughts I felt would assist me in learning from you and your writing and drawing..."

What inspired you to begin writing books?
Tomie: I wanted to write and illustrate books when I was four years old. I was inspired to write by the books that my mom read to me.

How many books have your currently written?
Tomie: I have written and/or illustrated nearly 250 books. I've written the stories for about half of those books.

Do you prefer writing or illustrating?
Tomie: I like illustrating first, and writing second.

What is your favorite book you have written?
Tomie: NANA UPSTAIRS & NANA DOWNSTAIRS

Are there any characters you feel you have a closer connection with because he has similar characteristics in common with you?
Tomie: Tomie! The chapter books are autobiographical, so I feel a closer connection to me, Tomie, in the chapter books.

Do you try to write and draw each day?
Tomie: I probably draw a little each day, but I don't write each day.

How many practice drafts of a project do you complete before your script goes to the company that will publish it?
Tomie: My stories usually go through several drafts before my editor and I feel they're ready for publication. Each story goes through a different number of rewrites.